Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Ballad of Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

There they were this morning; the giant, open boxes of oatmeal packet dust waiting, watching, yearning to be reconstituted into a wholesome if not entirely healthy breakfast treat.

Why more than 1 box you ask? Me too so I looked, curiosity's claw sunk into my medulla like the ghost of Schrodinger's cat. 1 box full to the brim with various flavors of oatmeal goodness while the other box...the other box...that sad 'other box' stuffed full of apple cinnamon packets, limp with despair like an orphan child on Christmas morn. In a fit of empathy I hesitantly reached for the apple cinnamon thinking "I kind of remember them being ok. Sure the apple tastes like moldy Jolly Rancher and the pieces themselves are akin to gummy candies left out too long on your grandma's counter but how bad could they be?". After one tentative spoonful the memories came rushing back like a  fruit flavored freight train from hell. The bitter disappointment of apple promises unfulfilled over and over again since my youth to present and the more the fool am I for falling for the siren song of apple cinnamon.

One washed cup later I switched to brown sugar oatmeal and my breakfast world was righted, no longer spinning out of control and instead comforted in the familiar arms of sugary goodness.

I don't care what Patty says, apple cinnamon is the most awful flavor.

Share your breakfast horror stories....if you dare....

Courtesy of some website.

2 comments:

  1. Try the sugar free Apple Cinnamon flavor! Its beyond horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you trying to kill me anonymous!

    ReplyDelete